Re: Topband: Shunt fed tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt fed tower
From: "Larry" <lknain@nc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:45:37 -0500
Herb,

I tried measuring the tower resonance with a GDO as suggested
by ON4UN's book but my GDO wouldn't go low enough in frequency
to find resonance. It appears to be below 1.5MHz (100 ft 45G with
a KT36XA at 100.5 ft, 80M rotatable dipole at 108 ft, and a 2 el 40M
yagi at 117 feet).

I was thinking about a 6 wire cage 6 inches in diameter probably about
2-3 feet out but I will rethink that in light the comments by you, Carl. and
Guy. It may need to be further out. ON4UN's book suggests an
omega match in such circumstances but after measuring with the cage in
place I'll see what it actually needs.

I am hoping to get a better 160 signal out of the shunt fed tower. I
currently
have an inverted V that is OK but certainly is not great. I used to have
a sloper attached to the 100 foot tower that seemed to work better -
most of the time - but it was finicky to tune.

I am in the process of putting up another tower which by coincidence(?)
is 128 feet from the 100 footer but the new tower is only 70 feet. At some
point I will look at phasing them as a 2 el vertical array for 160. The 70
foot tower may a bit short for that service. I need to do some reading and
experimenting before I get there though. The line through the towers is
pointed right at Europe (NE) or Australia (SE).

Thanks all for the comments.

73, Larry  W6NWS