Re: Topband: Digital on 160m?

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Digital on 160m?
From: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 13:05:50 -0700
The K3UK schedule website has quite a few "check ins" that are clamoring to
work JT65 on 160 meters - so another "source" for info on JT65...just go to the
K3UK web site and hang around for a while, evenings and morning seem best ---
you'll see hams lookin' for JT65 QSOs (mostly to work new states for WAS) and
just start asking them questions...they'll be helpful plus get some Qs going
with ya!

> Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:48:14 -0800
> From: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: Topband: Digital on 160m?
>
> On 12/29/2011 9:48 AM, Thorvaldur Stefansson wrote:
> > Lew, W7EW/W7AT said it best: "The language of 160 Meters is CW".
>
> Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.  While I haven't tried JT65 on
> 160 yet, I would like to do so.  I've had considerable success working
> difficult paths with JT65 on 6M and on some of he HF bands. The path
> between the San Francisco bay area and Europe (over the pole) is a very
> difficult one, and typically open enough to support CW contacts only a
> dozen or so night a year, and then only for a short period. I have yet
> to hear anything from EU this season. The 160M band is 200 kHz wide, and
> even with four Beverages, I rarely hear more than 3-4 signals at any
> given time except during contests.
>
> Most JT65 contacts are pre-arranged schedules.
>
>   http://www.on4kst.com/chat/start.php
>
> The easiest to use software is this one   http://jt65-hf.sourceforge.net/
>
> It works with the same audio cables to and from a computer sound card
> that would be used for RTTY or PSK, and is quite user friendly.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK