Re: Topband: K2AV 160m Folded Counterpoise (FCP), parts and winding for

To: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K2AV 160m Folded Counterpoise (FCP), parts and winding for isolation transformer.
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 03:22:17 -0500
Just remember that an FCP is a SINGLE BAND device.  If you use a 160 FCP on
80 meters, the field cancellation will not occur and it will be lossy.

Second, the gorilla in the room for QRP is eliminating loss.  Wind the 160m
isolation transformer (ISOT) as specified or get the Balun Designs
commercial duplicate.  Put the auto tuner right at the transformer, and it
will work. You will not need the loading coil if the tuner is at the ISOT.

You can put any kind of antenna on the other wire connection on the ISOT.
 You just need to tune it right at the coax connection of the ISOT.  If you
put more than 2-6 feet of coax between ISOT and autotuner you may start
running up losses.  Put the coax to the shack on the tuned output side of
the autotuner so the shack coax is matched and losses are minimum.

An antenna like the one you describe has a very low radiation resistance on
160, therefore the current is very high in whatever counterpoise is in use.
 A radial system used with this antenna that is NOT dense, AND uniform
length and spacing, will be that much more lossy and the FCP will make a
large difference. Critical with QRP.  It is entirely possible that a
miscellaneous radial collection could reduce your 5 watts to a half watt.

For QRP, do the radials right, or use a counterpoise specifically designed
to minimize loss.

73, Guy.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK