Topband: Fwd: Re: More Inv-L matching issues.... BIGGER ISSUE

To: Dan Bookwalter <N8DCJ@YAHOO.COM>
Subject: Topband: Fwd: Re: More Inv-L matching issues.... BIGGER ISSUE
From: Paul Dulaff <pdulaff@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 13:27:40 -0500 (EST)
Dan

I understand that your 160 meter station is/was working until you introduced
the 374A to the system.

If this is the first time you have manually loaded up the 374A on 160 meters,
it may be possible that the amp is tuned up for output on 80 meters. C18 (tune
cap) is the only capacitor in the tank circuit, so is possible to reduce its
capacitance down to tune on 80 meters when the bandswitch is set for 160 meters.

It is possible to input to the amp on 160 meters, having the output tank
circuit tuned to 80 meters and the amplifier develop an output. The amplifier
in this case would be acting as a frequency doubler and would output high power
at 2X the desired frequency. The impedance at the antenna would be completely
wrong in this situation and would explain the immediate failure of the relay
box.

As a check, confirm that C18 (tune variable capacitor) is at full mesh (max.
capacitance). Tune and load the 374A into a dummy load, slowly decreasing C18
until the first dip in plate current is noted.

Best 73's

Paul - WB2NMI