Re: Topband: Half or Quarter Wave??

To: eckerpw@yahoo.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Half or Quarter Wave??
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 00:30:26 -0500 (EST)
Before doing anything else, consider a more robust tuner at the base, that
is a high-current area whether the antenna is 1/2 or 3/8 WL.  A simple L
network tuner with a #12 or #14 air-wound inductor and a variable capacitor
with  at least 1000V spacing will provide much better performance IMHO.  You
can  very easily compare performance with the LDG with a simple RF Ammeter
at the  tuner output.  I have the Z-11 Pro and even a fairly modest home
brew manual tuner produces stronger currents at the base of my inverted  L.

I assume your deer fence is elevated, perhaps 6' or so, I'd consider
installing some insulators along the span of the top wire around your lot at
about the 50' point and add a couple more wires diagonally across the lot for a
 total of 4 50' elevated radials, even if they are asymmetric around  the
base of the vertical.  Many have reported much better performance with
length that approximates the vertical height of the L.  Be open to other  ideas
from the group on the overall length adjustment, it has been discussed at
length, no pun intended.

Paul, K5AF

In a message dated 1/5/2012 10:38:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,