Re: Topband: Top band: Preventing QRM

To: "kd6nrp@earthlink.net" <kd6nrp@earthlink.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Top band: Preventing QRM
From: "Chortek, Robert L" <Robert.Chortek@berliner.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:56:26 -0800
Good Morning:

I have a very modest 160m station. Since I cannot hear as well as most of you,
I run the risk of calling CQ on what appears to be a clear frequency and QRMing
a DX station calling CQ or disrupting an ongoing QSO.

Any suggestions on how to prevent?

To minimize any potential issues, I usually select a splinter frequency (i.e.,
1820.5, 1823.5, etc), send "QRL?", and listen for a while.

73

Brian, KD6NRP
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK

Brian,

First listen, then check the packet spots to see if the coast is clear, then
call QRL? several times and listen for an "R", etc., and then fire away.  We
are all friends on Top band and someone will politely ask you to QSY if
necessary.

73 and welcome to 160!

Bob/AA6VB
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK