Re: Topband: T vert feed

To: Roy <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: T vert feed
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 17:32:27 -0500
Oh, yeah.  It will. If you are unlucky and it is presenting a current node
at the antenna connection. All the MORE likely if you have a really good
ground at the house entry point. Get used to it.  Each little wire running
off from the center is a **DRIVEN** element in the system, and if the coax
shield is not blocked, the coax shield is an element DRIVEN with power from
the base of the antenna.

It can be that low, it's insulated, it has a very large surface, and
because there are miscellaneous distributed and specific terminations at
the other end, you CAN very definitely have current nodes if it's driven
with power at the antenna end.  That is where you can get VERY low
effective series resistances.  Maybe you particularly will, maybe you
won't, with your SPECIFIC piece of coax and routing, grounding, yada, yada.
 But the warning of the 50/50 possibility has to remain.  I'm really quite
sure some of you out there ARE lucky in this very miscellaneous regard.
 Carry on.  Enjoy life.  Kiss a pretty woman.  Work rare DX.  As for the
REST of you.....

The trick is to remember that without a block you are driving that shield
with counterpoise power, the same as each one of the radials individually.

73, Guy.

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Roy <royanjoy@ncn.net> wrote:

> This is the part I'm objecting to:
>
> "the coax will carry HALF
>  the counterpoise current and waste most of that power, besides being a
> link...(etc.)"
>
> No, no, nertz. Where did that notion originate?
>
> Roy   K6XK

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK