Re: Topband: Proper Decorum On The "Gentleman's Band"...

To: <tod@k0to.us>, <lists@subich.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Proper Decorum On The "Gentleman's Band"...
From: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 07:27:11 -0700
I think your take - knowing what the distribution is - is a worthy
consideration, Tod.  Using a technique called Bernard's approximation and
given, oh, six to ten data points, and some graphing paper one could complete a
"in the ball park" analysis of the type of distribution.  Is it a Weibull
distribution with a K of 1.5?  Is it a lognormal? Is it....??  I wouldn't be
surprised if knowing the distribution wouldn't account for imbalances in the
lengths and population of the radial/coutnerpoise wire laydown.  Good catch!

Might be an interesting exercise, 'eh?  Sigh, ah for the good 'ol days of
statistical analysis as I wandered through my M.S. in Systems Engineering
coursework, focused on statistical analysis and processes at Southern Methodist
University....I can feel the remnants of numerous attempts to erase errors on
my pencil and paper calculations for an exam!

Smiling HUGELY - 72, Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV

> Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 00:30:52 -0600
> From: tod@k0to.us
> To: lists@subich.com; topband@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: Topband: Proper Decorum On The "Gentleman's Band"...
>
> A trivial point in this discussion, but of some consequence in assessment
> of data, the average is almost always NOT the 50% point of a population.
> The Median is the midpoint -- that is 50% of the population is above and
> 50% below the Median.
>
> The Average [or Mean] for a population is very dependent on the
> distribution of the elements of the population. It is entirely possible
> that 1% of a population could be above the Mean value [above average] and
> 99% below <some members of the 1% will be incredibly greater than the Mean
> value for that to be true.. In rectangular and Gaussian distributions the
> Mean and the Median can be expected to have the same value. But most other
> distributions will have the Mean above or below the Median value.
>

> Tod, K0TO

> >In truth, exactly 50% of the people on this earth are below average -
> >not most. Still that's a sobering thought for anyone who expects
> >average and bases expectations on average.
> >
> >73,
> >
> > ... Joe, W4TV

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK