Re: Topband: Amazing Video of an extremely large circular array

To: W0UCE <w0uce@nc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Amazing Video of an extremely large circular array
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 13:42:03 -0400
Jack,

As the all band demand would increase the load from a 100 users to
thousands, I guess it would be up to the system capacity and if the
antennas are capable of the bandwidth requirement at one given moment
without compromise.  Maybe it would be done by subscriptions with on
line payment option like Pay Pal at a cost per hour etc. Without some
limits it would quickly be overload by a zillion SWL's and even Intel
agen agents from over 100 countries listening to BC stations from 10,000
miles away.

B.T.W Jeff gave me radio pioneer Sam Harris's call as W1FZJ or W1FZJ/KP4
and later as W1BU.

Herb, KV4FZ

On 2/11/2012 11:29 AM, W0UCE wrote:
> Herb:
>
> If any organization or individual is fortunate enough to gain access to a
> CDAA there is no reason to limit use of SDR to 160 meters, any band 160 - 10
> would benefit.
>
> 73,
> Jack
>

> Since some of these large antenna sites are no longer used it could be
> an ideal location for a SRD receiver feed (for 160 meters only) and with
> sufficient delay during contests to avoid their misuse, as a means to
> study propagation.    A lease under a radio club would be an awesome
> experience to have active radio receivers in other parts of the world.
> Yes there are many SDR's all over the place but few have anything decent
> on topband as an RX antnna.  Some of the remaining locations are in
> caretaker status and the owners maybe interested in turning them over to
> radio clubs or universities for such a research project.  A Wi-fi
> connection, a router server, and a bunch of SDR radios, hooked to the
> antenna various antenna ports for switchable options, would enter a
> whole new level of experimentation on topband.
> I remember when 160 meter and EME enthusiast Sam Harris (forgot his
> call) used the Arecibo Space Telescope for moon bounce.  His efforts
> began a whole new resurgence of interest in this communications mode.
> now even some DX-peditions are trying it.
>

> Why not use them before they are gone?
>

> Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK