Re: Topband: EIRP Measurement

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: EIRP Measurement
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 07:55:51 -0500
> Fortunately, it is not true with short ground mounted monopole
> antennas.  In order for the skywave to exceed the groundwave, the
> monopole needs to be longer than half wave (somewhere in the area
> exceeding 0.64 wave).

I believe Rich Fry pointed this out a couple months ago.  The effect can be
seen when using the surface wave modeling tool in 4Nec2.  At first, it
surprised me since nearly all base-fed, vertical radiator elevation profile
charts show little field strength at low elevations (1 or 2 degrees), even
when fed over a substantial radial field.  Typical vertical profile charts
show high surface wave field strength only over salt water.  The same is
shown using NEC modeling programs unless a surface wave tool is used.

Paul, W9AC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK