Re: Topband: Propagation last evening

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Propagation last evening
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:00:43 -0500
Well, I might agree with you Jim, if all the states and provinces weren't
multipliers.  And that the strategy of winners for 160 contests is to WORK
ANYTHING THAT MOVES.  If you hear it, work it.  Doesn't matter if it's east
coast or west coast or DX.

Personally my limiting factor is being able to hear weak stations.  CQ and
ARRL list winners by states and call areas and gives them certificates.
 Nice piece of paper.

73, Guy (If I can hear you I'll work you) K2AV

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>wrote:

> On 2/25/2012 12:03 PM, Sam Morgan wrote:
> > I will not be wasting my time in any 160m SSB contests
> > either you can't be heard unless you run a kw
> > or ssb ops aren't listening for anything down in the weeds
> > that isn't received on a beverage pointed away from the US
> > or doesn't have an exotic call sign
>
> It's not much better on CW, which is why I no longer bother with 160M
> contests.
>
> It's long past time for scoring rules changes that cause east coast
> stations to want to work something besides DX.  The excessive credit for
> DX QSOs and countries as multipliers simply does not make sense.  EU
> from most of the east coast is only about 25% greater distance than W6,
> yet the W1--W6 or W1-W7 QSO counts one point and the EU QSO counts three
> or five, depending on the contest.
>
> The only 160M contest with reasonable scoring rules is the Stew Perry,
> but there's not nearly enough activity to make it much fun. Is it
> because the east coast guys don't like anything without their 5:1
> scoring advantage?
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK