Re: Topband: The End of Another One...

To: <deswynar@xplornet.ca>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: The End of Another One...
From: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:46:28 -0600
Hi, Eddy - yup, might switch the 160 meter loading coil into my vertical system
on and off for another week or so but then guess I'll just leave the switch in
the 80 meter and above position for the remainder of the spring, summer and
early fall, lower the three top loading wires and call it "Miller Time" as far
as Top Band ops is concerned.

I did complete QRP WAS on Top Band this winter! Needed 12 more states this past
fall/winter and worked 'em all...worked the last needed state, Mississippi,
about three weeks ago and received the QSL card a week later.  I do believe
I'll apply for THAT certificate.

Lookin' forward to the fall of this year and all of the fine contests that are
offered up for Top Band.  72, Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV QRP ARCI Contest Manager

> From: deswynar@xplornet.ca
> Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:17:26 -0400
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Subject: Topband: The End of Another One...
>
> Good Day All,
>
> Well, Spring sure has arrived early this year in this part of "VE3"-land---so
> early, in fact, that the XYL is making noises to-day about our starting to
> rake the lawn in preparation for the ongoing 6 month long grass harvesting
> season here in southern Ontario...
>
> The odious task of raking is scheduled to commence this coming Sunday, & that
> means but one thing: it's time to roll up the radials beneath the "L"
> antennas here, & vacate Topband until the end of October 2012 (sigh!).
>
> In as much as I may hate leaving 160-meters "...for the duration", I must say
> that---for me, at any rate---this season on 1.8-MHz will be memorable if only
> for the fact that things more or less shut down here, propagation-wise,
> earlier this year than last: in 2011, things sorta died in January---2012 saw
> things wither on the vine early in December. Oh, there were moments of bliss,
> alright, and I have two new ones in my 160-meter DXCC total to show for
> it...but hardly anything to make it a stand-out season for all of the RIGHT
> reasons.
>
> Fingers here are crossed that 2012-13 will more than make-up for the past...!
>
> ~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK