Re: Topband: 160 meter G5RV

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 meter G5RV
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:46:58 -0700
On 3/21/2012 8:57 AM, DnEMoth@aol.com wrote:
> Anyone have  any ideas for a RF choke to stop it.

Although I'm a strong advocate of the use of feedline chokes, I don't
advocate using one here. A FAR better solution for 160M with that
antenna is to tie both sides of the feedline together, tie that to the
transmitter output, and add whatever he can as a counterpoise to the
transmitter chassis.  That turns a lousy 160M antenna into a pretty good
one (a top-loaded Tee).

The counterpoise can be almost anything, but the bigger the better. In
Chicago, I used a big wrought iron fence that ran around the front of my
lot, and even added a few short radials.  KK9H uses the HVAC ducts in
his suburban house.  Length and quantity of wires in the counterpoise is
not critical, but more is better, both in length and quantity.  Or, you
could use K2AV's folded counterpoise, the length of which IS critical.

73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK