Topband: how to hear through static crashes?

To: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Topband: how to hear through static crashes?
From: Markus Hansen <mkve7ca@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:35:22 -0700
With a home brew receiver you can select design features that can mitigate
static crashes however there are also ways to help even with a commercial ham
receiver such as.

 1. In my receiver I can adjust the AGC threshold so that loud crashes do not
activate the AGC until they become unbearable to listen to.

2.  You can do the same with most commercial receiver by simply turning the RF
gain down to a lower level.   Turn the RF gain control down to the point where
the S meter no longer (or just barely) moves when listening to your regular
back ground noise.  (If the weak station that you are hoping to hear is below
the receiver noise level at your QTH then you won't likely hear it will you)

3.  I have found an audio limiter to be very helpful.  With the AGC turn off
and/or RF gain turned down, I set the audio limiter so that it limited (clips)
any audio output above the level of the weak signal I am listening too.   This
protects my ears from excessively loud crashes etc.   I am not aware of any
modern receiver that include a AF limiter but the older ARRL Handbooks have
circuits for building a simple outboard audio diode limiter.  Just look in the
index for "audio limiter/circuit" and you should find a sample.    For the
technically minded you can find the limiter I built into my receiver at:
www.ve7ca.net/Hbr200.htm#AudMod

4.  If interference from other stations is not a issue then try the widest IF
filter Bandwideth (BW).  When pulse like RF signals (which is basically what
lightning crashes are, a series of large RF pules bunched together), go through
the  filters in your receiver they are in affect stretched out (see note 1
below) so lightning crashes that you hear will last long going through a very
narrow IF CW filters than through the SSB wider filters.

5.  I have done a considerable amount of experimenting with noise blanking
circuits and found that they are not effective with lightning crashes.   Noise
Blankers are designed to limit short noise pulses like ignition circuits in the
old Volkswagen Bug, lawn mower and in some cases power line leakage that have
short duration periods.

6.  By setting the clipping level just above the level of the signal that I am
trying to copy, using a wide receiver bandwidth then sometimes I find that
Digital Noise Reduction systems help.  I emphasize the word sometimes.

There my friends are my humble observations.  I sure others will share their
experiences to help us all understand and know how to deal with situations like
lighting crashes during the summer season.  elay is the average delay time of
the energy, the time-domain representation changes and it is not just delayed.

Note 1.   Not really stretched out, but what is called group delayed.  Group
delay is the average delay time of the energy, the time-domain representation
changes and it is not just delayed.e  Click on the following URL and you will a
visual picture of what happens to a pulse when it goes through a filter:
www.ve7ca.net/Hbr200.htm#FEMixBlnof the energy, the time-domain representation
changes and it is not just delayed

Markus Hansen VE7CA
North Vancouver, BC  CANADA