Topband: Top Band activity

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Top Band activity
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 06:36:57 -0400
Hi,

I tested the waters again this morning. I heard a couple of stations
calling for CQ DX and parked the Ranger on a spot that was out of the
way near 1818 kc. I had no takers but while I was looking for replies I
heard another QSO just starting. I had comfortable copy at S4 and S5 on
both stations. Both stations were running big amplifiers and a lot more
than my 35 watts! I have listened to some of the AM and SSB ragchews
higher on the band and whenever those guys talk about their radios I
note they are running 1 KW on up to the legal limit with a few of them
down around 800 watts. Maybe some of them are running a little *more*.
Note to self - get more juice.

I'm still going to try 160 daily - late night or especially early
morning. If propagation gives me a break I'll have to be there to take
advantage. I have yet to get a hit on RBN. I can't imagine the DX-100
alone at 100 watts doing much better after I get it overhauled so now I
will start my quest for heavy iron. One click of the bandswitch to 80
meters gets me much better results so I will operate more on 80 and 40
meters to get my RF fix but I am not going to go away from Top Band.
Better antennas and more power are on the horizon.

73,

Bill  KU8H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK