Topband: LED Light Redux

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: LED Light Redux
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 20:22:59 -0400
I do not use LED lights so far at my home as they are much more
expensive than the CFL's but I have found a good use for solar powered
LED strings.  After the outside Christmas decorations were taken down I
had a bunch of solar powered DC LED strings wanting to find some usage.
So after stumbling through the grasses weeds and bushes at night,
generally during a contest, to find out if my two wire beverage was
knocked of by a deer, or a 600 ohm termination was measured open from
the feed end, I decided to use the end support termination pole and
ground rod to support a string of the LED Christmas light that are power
by the sun.  they cause no interference and I get even with the sun (the
enemy of 160 meters for sure) by sapping away a miniscule amount of its
power.  Now i can drive down the road at the end of my several Beverages
and see at night exactly where they are planted.  it saves time and
energy especially during a contest or DX--pedition in making quick
repairs.  There are all sorts of LED solar powered yard light at Home
Depot (yes we them in the VI) but the Christmas solar powered string are
dirt cheap after the season and cost nothing to operate.  In fact they
are really impressive to drive by at night and some nocturnal creatures
may even shy away from them whether two legged or otherwise.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK