Re: Topband: Inverted L Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L Question
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 08:09:33 -0400
Mike,  You would be much better off by feeding the tower with a shunt or
cage feed.  As K2AV so accurately pointed out...an inverted "L"
supported by a metal tower is not the answer for an efficient system on
160.  With the amount of radials you have at the base you could do much
better by feeding the grounded tower.  I presume the tower has a beam on
the top and that will really make you system even more efficient by
providing some good toploading.  An inverted L supported by a steel
tower is not the best solution. It is probably the worst of all compared
to a Marconi "T" out in the clear even with the same tower used to
support one end as far away a possible from the vertical wire.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

On 4/29/2012 7:55 AM, Mike(W5UC) wrote:
> Good Morning Lloyd&  All:
>
> You have described my 160&  80 meter antennas almost exactly.  The
> vertical part of my L is about 3 feet away from the tower at the top,
> and approximately 2 feet away at the bottom.  I also have a 80 meter
> vertical wire on the other side of my tower.  The 80 meter wire is
> approximately 3 feet from the tower at both ends.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK