Re: Topband: Parasitic Elements with 160m Verticals (was radals fer 160m

To: Charles Moizeau <w2sh@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Parasitic Elements with 160m Verticals (was radals fer 160m vertcal)
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 21:04:31 -0700
> Have Topbanders used parasitic elements?

Yup!!

> Although a radiator with an electrical length of 0.25 wavelength worked
> against a non-resonant ground system is common and successful, I believe
> (I hope correctly) that in order to be to be effective parasitic elements
> need to be close to 0.50 wavelength (+ or - thereof, depending on whether
> reflecting or directing),at least electrically if not possible physically.
>
> A practical solution suggests a parasitic element in an inverted vee
> configuration in order to handle the considerable length (reducible with
> lump loading) required to approach ~0.50 wavelength.
>
> Commentary welcome!

Hmm - some of that sounds like the Spitfire array which uses half wave
elements - bent into a triangle shape.

http://www.yccc.org/Articles/Spitfire/spitfire.htm

I have had good results with quarter wave elements against a non-resonant
ground system (fairly good ground with about 42 radials).  You can use
either a director or a reflector.

Tree N6TR
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK