Re: Topband: question about antenna bandwidth

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: question about antenna bandwidth
From: Rob Stampfli <rob@cboh.org>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 15:51:32 -0400
Thanks, gentlemen (Eddy, K8GG, ZR, Roy, Herb, et. al.), for all the
feedback on this.  So, it seems it's pretty much what I expected --
if you tune an antenna for better results on one frequency, you
detract from its operation on another.  Maybe one of these days I'll
get around to playing around with that 3/8 wavelength L anyway...

Rob / KD8WK

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 03:22:19PM -0400, Herb Schoenbohm wrote:
> Another rule for this is "the lower the Q of the matching network the
> greater the bandwidth."
>
> Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ
>
> On 5/7/2012 1:48 PM, Roy wrote:
> > If I were to extend my 1/4-wave inverted-L to a 3/8-wave L, and tune
> > out the inductance with a fixed capacitor at the base, what would this
> > do to the broadbandedness of the antenna?
> >
> > There is an old basic principle to remember about this, "The fewer the
> > components in general, the broader the bandwidth."
> >
> > 73,   Roy   K6XK

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK