Re: Topband: Don Miller and CW Pileup Management

To: "k1zm@aol.com" <k1zm@aol.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Don Miller and CW Pileup Management
From: HAROLD SMITH JR <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 15:47:25 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Don

Yes - we both remember the Don Miller style of working a CW pileup pretty much
the same way.

In this case, I quickly realized that if I stuck with the CORE PILE I was going
to have to really WORK HARD in order to pull out any calls - because the guys
were totally out of control and calling wildly and non-stop.

I am not sure how I came to do what I did, except to say - that, like you, I
knew the opening might not repeat itself (Krassy too had only one night at ST0R
that was wide open) and he made the most of it  I learned from that and from
the
Miller remembrances.

So I just winged it and listened up and down for those on the fringes - in
order
to maximize the potential of the opening.

Hi Jeff,

Sorry I missed you from 7O6T.

I remember Don Miller very well. I worked him from every place that he went.

My first QSO with him was in 1959 on 15 CW, when I was in Germany in the Army.
was DL4SH.

At that time he was WN9WMV.

73 Price W0RI
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK