Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 113, Issue 46

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 113, Issue 46
From: Garry Shapiro <garry@ni6t.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 18:14:00 -0700
It indeed is "whispering gallery mode", but I think you have mixed
characters, times and places. I don't believe Franklin ever served in
Congress--about the only thing he did /not/ do in his long and amazing
life--and of course the modern Capitol was built long after he passed on
in 1790. However, guided tours of the modern Capitol in DC often point
out the whispering gallery spots under the main rotunda. And, as Rick
points out, the phenomenon is quite general, and is responsible for the
great acoustics of many of the ancient Greek amphitheaters.

Garry, NI6T

On 5/31/2012 4:59 PM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
> wa3mej@comcast.net wrote:
>> I think there is a more comon name for
>> this mode but cant remember what is is now.. and there have been several
> Whispering gallery mode.  The classic whispering gallery room is
> in the shape of an ellipse, where people at one focus can hear
> the people at the other focus, but it is on only 1 hop.
>
> Antipodal mode involves multiple hops.
>
> Rick N6RK

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK