Re: Topband: Strange CW Coded Messages

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, <galicic@comcast.net>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Strange CW Coded Messages
From: "Robin" <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 00:21:25 -0700
I seriously doubt it - check the links - they all seem to be crystal based.
There are
"smart" beacons that respond only when interrogated by the owning vessel.
Nowhere is
there any indication that these things have any smarts at all beyond that, and
the vast
majority are set and forget until you come back to collect the net - and their
purpose is
short range - relatively.  The fishing trawler gets within maybe 50 miles and
uses
ordinary DF to find the beacons...  your on freq transmissions are unlikely to
bother
them.  It DOES feel good, tho - once.

Most likely is that they went into sunlight and you were hearing them on
greyline...

Robin, WA6CDR

> I thought someone once mentioned on the Topband list that if you call CQ or
> hold a QSO on top of one, they will move frequency, sometimes completely
> outside 160m. If my memory serves me, the frequency can be remotely
> controlled by the fishermen who use them.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK