Topband: Detuning transmit antenna in receive

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Detuning transmit antenna in receive
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 19:02:07 +0000
OK, several folks came back and recommended detuning my transmit antenna in
receive.

Certainly any receive antenna I have is going to be in the shadow of my
transmit antenna, a 130-foot flat-top about 85 feet up, fed against ground.
(Really it's an 80 meter doublet fed with ladder line. I tie the ladder line
together at the bottom and feed against ground.)

Trying to figure out what "detune" is.

I match the transmit antenna to 50 ohm coax with a L network at the bottom. If
I want to detune, then I can.... open up the connection between the antenna and
the L network at the bottom? Unhook the L or C in the L network? Short out the
antenna where it comes into the L network? I could rig up a relay contact to do
any of those.

Tim N3QE
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK