Re: Topband: Chokes for Beverages

To: "Guy Olinger K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>, "Herb Schoenbohm" <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Chokes for Beverages
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:12:23 -0400
I use only quad shield and flooded here and Im 25 miles from salt water.
Experience has told me the other stuff is good only for indoors unless you
want to replace it every few years as the common mode crud increases from
corrosion and diode joints forming. Ferrite wont help you then. Other parts
of the country likely arent as bad for large temperature swings, lots of
rain and otherwise high humidity as New Hampshire, Maine, etc.

Its sometimes harder to find and not cheap; 1000' reels are the most
economical if you want to split with somebody. OTOH I would never run
anything but hardline on the ground and dont believe everything you read
about direct burial or other plastic jacketed cable for on ground use since
they never address animals chewing on it.

I lost over 1000' of flooded RG-11 in one winter when I first moved here
from chewing. It was no fun running a 750' length of 1/2" CATV hardline over
a few feet of snow but its still like new after 22 years. Runs from
individual Beverages to switch boxes are either RG-6 or 11, quad shield and
flooded. The antennas work fine from the 130KHz area to 30M, I was listening
to loud oldies music on the LF BCB the other night as well as what sounded
like a large cat fight on an Arabic station on 171 KHz (-:

Carl
KM1H