Topband: Laird ferrites

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Laird ferrites
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 08:01:46 -0700
   Thank you guys for your in depth comments on Laird. This now circles
 back to what I attempted to say in the beginning. I do not believe we get
 all the information we need as radio guys just from the data sheets. It
 has been the collective wisdom of many including the posters here and
 mentors we have worked with and suppliers we have trusted that have
 in the long run provided the information we as radio guys really need in
 ferrite. I understand Jims work and I understand Toms comments. My
 point was we should not just throw Laird to the wind as a supplier
 because of lack of data. There are sometimes applications for ferrites
 that not all suppliers do well as you both have pointed out, however in
 my case at this point without doing years more of research I have found
 an off brand ferrite (not Laird) that worked better for my application than
 any of the many brands I tested. The recomendation was from an
 experienced toroid winder.
   I would not choose Laird as a supplier for either Toms or Jims examples,
 however they do make pretty good and inexpensive transformers for
 wideband high level preamps as both W7IUV and K8ZOA have pointed
 out. I would bet Beverage transformers too.
  We likely are all saying the same things just a different way.
  Lee K7TJR  OR
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK