Re: Topband: UFOs

To: ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: UFOs
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 20:49:24 +0000
I think my point was, we haven't always been so sophisticated either. Wes
Hayward's article on toroids in Jan 1968 QST discusses the Indiana General
sales policy to hams, then says "The remainder of this discussion will show the
experimenter how he can fabricate his own toroid cores from familiar components
that can be found in most junk boxes.". Then discusses how to start with
ferrite loopsticks, a saw, and a drill, and make your own toroids, or how to
use tuning slugs or cup cores from IF transformers or TV convergence assemblies
as toroids.

Now me, in my lab, if it is anything other than 43 mix, I try to write the part
number/mix on it with a Sharpie when I get the package from Amidon or other
supplier. Some suppliers use plastic stickers on the bag to identify what's
inside... but if I wait too long in summer weather, the sticker falls off! So
no shortage of UFO's here :-)

Tim N3QE