Re: Topband: Lightning makes antennas vanish

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Lightning makes antennas vanish
From: wa3mej@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 19:52:57 +0000 (UTC)

Tom,

  When I was a young-un (in 1966) I had an old school  beverage antenna
suspended between a 40 ft pole and an 80 ft tree some 150 ft away, as with many
antennas in those days it was made of whatever wire I could find and in this
case it was ground wire used by the telephone company ... #6 I believe and it
was a real task keeping this thing up due to its weight alone.

In those days I just disconnected the antenna from the radios and grounded it,
also tied to the ground was a brute force AC line filter that helped clean up
and regulate my ostensibly 120 v mains.

One day we had a bag storm.. you know one of the real gut busters with lottsa
lightening sideways rain and the whole deal. Needless to say it hit my antenna
somewhere in the middle and I found it laying in the yard  after the storm. A
friend (wa3kgc) and I went out and grabbed the melted ends and attempted to
pull it together and low and behold whouldnt you know it it was short about 40
ft.  Now this damn wire was as big as my finger.. how could this be.  Well we
took the antenna down and measured it ... added enough wire to bring it back to
the correct length and put it back up in the air.

WHen I went into the basement I found the brute force filter had also exploded
and since it was in a metal case there were chards of metal that had gone
through the rafters in my basement and the filter had totally gone.  Luckily I
had the forsight to disconnect the radios and they were safe.

I have seen antennas destroyed several times since that time (not mine however)
and have observed one interesting fact, antennas with a higher impedance seem
to be hit more than lower inpedance ones.. better than a 2 to one margin I
would say.

Jim WA3MEJ

Message: 5