Topband: Making boom insulated element give you some top loading

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Making boom insulated element give you some top loading
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 19:39:19 -0400
Dear Topbanders:

In a recent post I mentioned that I took down my Tirband Beam (Cushcraft
A4s with extended boom...24 feet) and replaced it with a Cubex 3 element
quad.  I did not bother to wire the quad with elements for 18 and 24 as
this was not of a particular interest to me in contests.  But with
recent DX-peditions spending a lot of time on 18 and 24 I decided to put
up a 18 Mhz dipole element with a parasleave 24 Mhz element next to it.
I am thinking that these elements would give me a bit more top loading
that I am missing with the quad and its insulated square elements to my
75 foot tower which is cage fed for 160 meters.  I need to find a choke
which will provide a high impedance on 18mhz so I can take each element
to the boom at the feed point and provide a low impedance path for 160
meters.  Rather than experiment with ferrite I am sure that some turns
of #16 insulated wire on a small coil form could give me what I want.
Does anyone have any idea on how many turns on a 1" coil form it would
take to to this and not impact the 18 Mhz feed?

Please let me know so it will save me trips up and down the tower.

Thanks,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ
herbs@vitelcom.net
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK