Re: Topband: Chokes, et. al. - what is the attenuation ?

To: donovanf@starpower.net
Subject: Re: Topband: Chokes, et. al. - what is the attenuation ?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:15:47 -0700

On 7/14/2012 1:19 PM, donovanf@starpower.net wrote:
> I'm liking my current forcing, 1/4 wavelength and 3/4 wavelength coaxial
> baluns more and more!
>
> 73
> Frank
> W3LPL

On low bands, the Q of resonant stubs is fairly low.
Therefore, the effective common mode impedance of these
baluns will not be extremely high.  If you want a
single band choke, you could get a higher impedance
more easily by using a low loss ferrite like 61 or 67
to make a conventional common mode choke and then
resonate the choke with a shunt capacitor.  It also
requires a heck of a lot less coax than a wavelength.

Rick N6RK
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK