Topband: even more C RURAL WIRE

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: even more C RURAL WIRE
From: wa3mej@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 00:57:04 +0000 (UTC)

No.. IT WASNT.  it was two #14 copper clad steel conductors covered with an
alpath type of insulation, read that to mean the same type of jacket as they
use on the current multi-pair cables.  THis goes back to 1968 when I worked for
C&P. THey may have newer stuff but I obtained my last chunk of the stuff from
the as late as 2004 or 2005 and it was still the same stuff.  The rubber stuff
is DROP WIRE.

>The original rural C wire was oval shaped. It was two CCS conductors in a
>rubber jacket. There was a cloth covering over the inner rubber, then a
>>thinner covering of rubber over the cloth. I've seen that wire occasionaly
>but it's pretty rare.

IF it is the size of zip cord then it is not what I am talking about... not to
say that they might have newer stuff they use now days but the older stuff can
still be found when they are wrecking out long sections between telephone
poles.  Where you find this stuff mostly is in the country where houses are
farther appart and they didnt have BD boxes or drop cases (geeze I am getting
old I cant for the life of me remembre what they are called)  on every pole..
so they used the C RURAL WIRE from one pole to the other until they got to the
pole next to the house then terminated it in a box and took a drop wire from
there on in to the house.  THe other place you found it is from say the pole on
a main country road back a long right of way to the pole next to the house.  In
some cases this was 10 or 15 poles of length.. ... makes a great antenna if you
get the whole piece by the way.     This stuff is so tough that it takes a pair
of linesman pliers or electricians side cutters to cut it your normal dikes
will not cut it.

>The newer material is the two CCS conductors with a >thermoplastic overmolded
>insulation using a very tough type of plastic. The exterior >appearance of
>that type of wire is similar to a very heavy zip >cord.

Trust me guys if you get hold of this stuff you will love it.

Jim
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK