Topband: Beverage antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage antennas
From: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:56:54 -0700
Re Craig:
There are no perfect solutions for Beverage wire and all have problems.

One big factor in the Northeast  is Limes Disease, spread  by Deer ticks, from
Deer, and a few other creatures. It becomes risky to your way of life to put
too much time out  on  Beverages in wooded areas. We need good Beverage
antennas, but also need  good damage control clearance of the wires.

Re Tom:
An impedance error of 20 ohms on a 100 ohm line is as meaningful as an 80
ohm error on 400 ohm line

Thanks Tom for clearing that up. I tried early Saturday morning, while very
sleepy, to get this info out. A 680 ohm line Beverage with fence wire, the
error ratio is even higher.
(Wide spacing is more RF forgiving, in terms of inches, than close spaced
lines).   But we do need to be accurate.

A few years ago I had customer reports, stating they had run their two wire,
fence wire Beverages, fastened vertical with good results.  At that time I
switched a  300 foot horizontal run to vertical, and could not see any
difference.  Granted this was not an instant change A to B test, but it sure is
an easier installation.   I haven't seen anyone frequently transpose their two
fence wire Beverages in my area, but may be a good idea.

73
Bruce

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK