Re: Topband: Beverage antennas

To: "Andy Ikin" <andrew.ikin@btopenworld.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage antennas
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 16:16:31 -0400
> Tom
>
> Brian Collins gives another description on how a terminated loop antenna
> works; one could consider  the K9AY, EWE, Flag, and Pennant  are
> variations of what Brian describes in his 1974 paper.
>
> homepage.­ntlworld.­com/­brian.­collins/­Bibliography/­Paper-­06.­pdf

What Brian describes in paper 6 is totally different, and does not apply to
large elongated single "loop" antennas. These antennas are so large in
circumference phase is not uniform at all points on circumference.

As such, they behave exactly like two short phased verticals and nothing
like a small loop with uniform in-phase current.

Paper 6 describes multiple small independent loops that are phased, which
are nothing like an antenna electrically so long (large) that the "top and
bottom" sides have substantial phase delay, which causes the vertical ends
(even the Pennant has two vertical ends because of wire slope to the pointed
end) to form a unidirectional pattern.

His paper 6 is similar to my arrays of small loops in the 1970's and 80's,
where multiple small loops were phased.

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK