Re: Topband: Spark gaps

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Spark gaps
From: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 14:42:06 -0600
Mike, here it is.

The resistivity of amorphous carbon is 35 u ohm meters

(That's a 1 meter cube)

A 1" cube has a resistivity of 1.4 m ohms, a one inch sphere about 3 m ohms.

100 kA for 20 us dumps 600 J into it.

The density of carbon is 2.3 g/cm cubed

The 1 inch sphere has a mass of 20 grams

The specific heat capacity of carbon is 700 J/kg k

The observe heats 43 deg C

Dave WX7G
On Jul 27, 2012 2:18 PM, "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com> wrote:

> Man, I don't know, Dave. How long have they been selling those carbon balls
> for that purpose?
>
> I don't have the figures in front of me, but carbon has a significant
> amount of resistance. (Maybe that's the secret: the current gets limited as
> a result. :-)
>
> It would be interesting to calculate the resistance of a carbon sphere
> sometime (how big are those?). Then we could roughly estimate the voltage
> drop across it and so come up with a ballpark figure of the instantaneous
> power dissipated in those balls.
>
> At that point, someone with way too much time on their hands could estimate
> the temperature rise based on the specific heat of carbon. :-)
>
> 73, Mike
> www.w0btu.com
>
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 2:42 PM, DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com
> >wrote: