Re: Topband: Antennas

To: "Herb Schoenbohm" <herbs@vitelcom.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antennas
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 12:27:07 -0400
The T2FD was described in QST for June 1949 and CQ for November 1951 and
February 1953, all by USN Capt G.L. Countryman, W3HH.

Included are results reported by the USN, who did the design, in comparison
to existing antennas as well as detailed construction details. Wire spacing
and tilt angle are critical.

Ive had one up for several years primarily as a SWL antenna for a couple of
boatanchor receivers using a 10W resistor and have also made numerous 10-40W
contacts with it without difficulty 80-17M. Ive no comparison wire antennas
at similar heights so no performance claims are being made other than that I
can work DX and domestic stations with it.

The so called T2FD's sold these days by the usual ham dealer suspects is
nowhere near the original design so its no stretch as to why its not a great
performer.

Others just give it a thumbs down without ever trying it and just waste a
lot of others time with their views.

Carl
KM1H