Re: Topband: Air core chokes for 160m

To: "Vytenis Sciucka" <vytenis.sciucka@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Air core chokes for 160m
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 11:30:24 -0400
I will need to make common mode choke for 160m "T" shape vertical for
my club station. I always used to think I should aim at 3000+ Ohms
impedance, but lately I found article at
http://rudys.typepad.com/files/160m-common-mode-choke.pdf which says
thousands of Ohms is not necessary here. Several hundred Ohms is adequate
and air core chokes are OK for 160m. Now I'm not sure what target to
set for myself.
What do you think about that?

Unless you have a truncated or very small counterpoise, or a unique feed system, Rudy is right on target.

Very small counterpoises and off-tune "floating" counterpoises create large potential differences from the counterpoise common to earth because they have intense electric fields near the feedpoint and at other places along the counterpoise.

There will be cases where even several thousand ohms common mode will not be enough. There are other cases where almost no impedance is required. For nearly all resonant counterpoises, or even moderately truncated counterpoises, several hundred ohms will be enough.

Whether an air coil is OK or not depends entirely on the reactance of the shield's common mode path from counterpoise to "earth". There are many cases where adding an air coil of coax increases problems, and there are many where an air coil works fine.

The problem we have is no one has defined the system and goals properly and in detail. It would take a good sized book to go through all the different situations, so all we really have are generalized cases that have been offered as generalized rules.

What ground system, feedline routing, and antenna do you have? Most of the problems, and the acceptable choice of decoupling, would depend feedline routing and the particular counterpoise or ground system.

73 Tom
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK