Re: Topband: Radials over a stone wall

To: "N2TK, Tony" <tony.kaz@verizon.net>, "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radials over a stone wall
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 13:49:33 -0400
Thanks for the info. This is what I was looking for - info from someone who
has modeled the radials and/or actual experience with measurements.
Going over the wall simplifies things for me both for the shunt fed tower
for topband and for the radials for the 80M 4-sq.
I plan on soldering the radials together for both antennas wherever they
crisscross.

I'm pretty sure I posted it, but I know I modeled it out of curiosity because I wanted to see how closely EZnec agreed with treating it like a simple stub. If you keep the wires far enough apart each new wire divides the impedance, so three thin wires over the wall spaced a foot apart are quite a bit better than one thick one.

For such a small change added by a short stub, I'd not bother digging, boring, blasting, or drilling. You could, if you are exceptionally obsessive, run a buss along the wall on each side and run multiple small wires over the wall.

Despite what I hear, I have number 16 ground wires on my 300 ft tower that were installed in 1998 when I did an elevated radial test here. I started checking those wires this summer because of all the repeated lightning hit, day after day for a while, that went on. The original wires held up fine after years of direct hits (except where I trenched through them), so I don't think even #16 wire would be a wall issue for you.
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK