Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres

To: "Topband postings" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres
From: "George, VK5IT" <vk5it@bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 20:59:57 +0930
Hi Topbanders,

I would like to bring up a topic which I suspect must be tantamount to
heresy among the diehard CW operators and that is the question of the use of
some of the digital modes on the "Gentleman's Band".

It may be that CW can still hold its own by the speed and simplicity and use
of narrow bandwidths??

These dangerous thoughts have come about because a friend put me on to a
programme called Ham Radio Delux with its imbedded programme Digital Master
780 which supports a whole raft of digital modes. As we all know some of
these modes are capable of digging out intelligence from signals that are
undetectable because they are below the noise floor.

As one who is very much in the "little pistol" league with a small suburban
back yard with a 10 metre height restriction and only enough space to
install a very meagre earth matt and the additional problem of electrical
noise - I see this as a  way to improve my chances of chasing the elusive
DX. I was thinking of "resorting" to the use of digital modes such as Olivia
and JT65.

I keep a reasonably close eye on the threads posted in the Top Band Archives
and this is a topic I do not remember seeing being discussed.

I do, however, suspect that because going digital is such an obvious answer
that there must already be some activity among devotees so I would be
interested in hearing what frequencies and what modes are used on 160 meters
and any comments.

73

George, VK5IT

Email: <mailto:vk5it@bigpond.com>