Re: Topband: A read and review on KM5KG's book "Short Antennas for 160Me

To: "Guy Olinger K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>, "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A read and review on KM5KG's book "Short Antennas for 160Meter Radio".
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:29:38 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Guy Olinger K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:24 PM

The other day I got my copy of Grant Bingeman's (KM5KG) ARRL published
book "Short Antennas for 160 Meter Radio".

Short version:

As the title states, it's about short antennas, focuses on wires in
the air, and how to do it in a 30 foot cube space above ground.

Short reply:

I believe the ground maps show me at 1mS/M or less so I might as well not even waste money on that book.

With 32 elavated radials I can work just about anything I can hear and back in my contesting days the 160M band totals were right at the top of the pack when we took top honors for the USA in ARRL and CQ DX contests. Won the only single band during an ARRL 160 CW and other times just playing around worked WAS in those weekends. No effort was made to tune them, all are 125-135' and running thru tree branches so their resonances could be anywhere.

Granted the antennas were full 1/4 wave wire verticals hanging from the top guys of a 180' tower and sloping to 1/4 wave spacing at the base. However, the competition are often using full size single and up to 4 squares or inverted L's over much better ground and Id bet a good 2-3dB in output power plus those running tubes with handles or multiple 8877's and similar.

While this doesnt help the small lot ham I hope it gives others the urge to try elevated radials.

Carl
KM1H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK