Re: Topband: Dogleg BOG antenna.

To: Max Cotton <airradio@dsl.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Dogleg BOG antenna.
From: joe <galicic@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 04:55:39 -0400
Max,

I just installed a 350 foot BOG which makes several dog legs.  It is
very quiet and works well on 80 & 40 meters. On 160 it is good for noise
reduction but is not directional at all.

I am now in the process of installing a HiZ Antenna's Hi-Z 2-3 phased
vertical array on my small .25 acre lot for 160-40. Very compact and
fairly low profile.  Three 18 foot verticals spaced 50 feet apart.

The best thing you can do for your inverted L is to get as much wire
(radials) in the ground as possible. Also try putting multiple ground
rods with proper spacing.

Joe

On Sat, 2012-09-22 at 15:59 +0100, Max Cotton wrote:
> I am going to try to place a BOG antenna in my local neighbourhood, as I
> don't have a 650+ foot garden I thought the most inconspicuous antenna would
> be a BOG, however I have to 'Dogleg' it, it has to run for 200 feet North,
> then 200 feet East and the remainder North again, I only have a maximum run
> of 700 feet. I will terminate it with a 200-470 Ohm (select test) resistor at
> the far end, I have to run this along a wooden fence line opposite a metal
> mesh fence about 10-15 feet away for the entire run, this is towards the
> East. The mesh fence is enclosing an industrial area with a footpath running
> around that enclosure. My intended BOG will be on the side of this footpath
> away from the metal fence. Maybe I am wasting my time, has anyone done
> anything like this, I do have a North/South 'Inverted L' antenna but it is
> not brilliant for TopBand as I can only ever hear UK and EU stations and
> normally not even those. I can base load the 'L' but that is not brilliant.
> Ground conduc
 ti
>  vity is good as I am about a mile away from a river and 3 miles from the
> sea, good for HF but maybe not so good for LF bands. Maybe just adding a few
> more topband radials to my 'L'  may work for the moment. Ideas on this
> anyone? QTH is South England.
> 73 Max
> M0GHQ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK