Re: Topband: Homebrew Hairpin

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Homebrew Hairpin
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:04:40 +0000
K9YC writes:
> On 9/25/2012 9:46 AM, Hal Kennedy wrote:
>> I can supply a
>> coil winding Excel spreadsheet off the list to help get the coil wound.
> The nearly 100 year old formulas in the Handbook for winding coils are spot
> on.  I've
> plugged them into a spreadsheet to crunch the numbers for me, and
> measurements with a VNA
> show that they are right on target.

I have a flat-top T transmit antenna as well.

I modeled it with EZNEC, found its feed resistance/reactance, fed these into a
L-match program,
came up with L and C, then wound the L using the handbook formulas. It worked,
right on the
money, absolutely no "cut and try". I was very impressed that everything worked
right first try.
Rarely does that happens in my projects.

More typically my projects proceed like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnN8k9JRihs

Tim N3QE
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK