Re: Topband: HiZ Install Small Lot

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: HiZ Install Small Lot
From: "Mike(W5UC)" <w5uc@suddenlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 15:27:27 -0500
On 9/25/2012 5:38 PM, joe wrote:
Hi Guys,

I will be installing my new Hi-Z 2-3 RX antenna this coming weekend.  I
live on a small quarter acre lot in Maryland so I expect a few
challenges and compromises.  I would like to hear from other small lot
Hi-Z owners so I may be able to avoid or workaround any issues and
manage my expectations.
Hello Top Band Small Lot City Dwellers:

IMHO, you are making a good move. I faced the same problem, and also solved it with Hi-Z pre-amps. Please take a look at
http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/w5uc/160%20vertical.html

That is how I solved my small lot problem. I was previously using a modified K9AY array
 (http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/w5uc/K9AY%20Delta%20Drawing.html)
which did a good job, but I was still missing a lot of DX. The array as shown has a design RDF of 9.2 dB as opposed to the K9AY which had a design RDF of 7.2 dB. The difference is very noticeable, and well the effort. Additionally, the K9AY array has a main lobe take off angle of about 34 degrees, while the HI-Z array has a main lobe take off angle of around 21 degrees. My verticals are spaced at 54 feet. The two active antennas do not have to be exactly at 90 degrees from the other two as they work in pairs. In a discussion with Lee, K7TJR, he told me that I do not have to worry about the antennas not being able to see each other. The antennas individually take what they see, send it to the controller/combiner, and the work is done there. The TX antenna(inverted L) problem was solved by putting a remotely controlled SPST relay in the box with the matching network. That relay is between the radiator and the matching network and is open when in RX mode.

Enjoy, you are gonna love it.

73,
Mike, W5UC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK