Topband: 3 element receiving array - need advice about my lot

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 3 element receiving array - need advice about my lot
From: Jim Sorenson <kjsorenson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 16:26:56 -0400
Gentlemen,

I have a clear triangular area on my lot that would contain a 3 element
array such as the K7TIR (http://www.k7tjr.com/3element_2.htm).

I'm presently using a rotatable flag hung from the limb of an oak tree and
the bottom is about 30 feet up. I'm 23 miles from Pittsburgh and keeping
the null on Pittsburgh noise is the position I use most of the time. I
might as well point it NE and leave it that way. In general I do not have a
serious noise problem though. However, I'm wondering if the a 3 element
array would be worth the trouble for me? I am surrounded by tall oaks for
one thing. The xmit antenna is a wire T hung from a line between two oaks
and tops 80 feet.I run about 80 to 90 radials after the grass stops growing
here.  It gets out very well. I've included an image with all the
information below in the hopes that I might receive some comments and
advice concerning the best way to go.

W3BH Lot

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_-Akztq6Ro7o0PSzpG8sxtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

The area inside the triangle that is on the lawn is 239 - 196 - 202
approximately. I could run some short beverages during the winter but would
be maximum 350 feet and not in all directions. I could probably do 4
elements, but one of them would be right in the woods.

Many thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Jim
W3BH
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK