Re: Topband: Low Angles

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Low Angles
From: steve.root@culligan4water.com
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 16:51:58 +0000
 First off let me state that my QTH is awful. It's the "before" picture in a
weight loss advertizement. However I think a lot stations situated in suburban
and urban environments have similar issues. As I stand at the base of my mighty
Butternut, I look in any direction and see obstructions. Cars, trucks, garages,
hills, telephone poles, sheds, trash cans. The very base of my vertical can
"see" about 40 feet away. What does that do to the radiation pattern of this
antenna? Modelling this location would be similar to mapping the human genome
and I refuse to consider it. My gut tells me I need higher angles of arrival or
I'm out of business. Perhaps this accounts, in part, for the wide range of
performance seen with similar antennas.

73 Steve K0SR

Remember the PreStew coming on October 20th.  http://www.kkn.net/stew for more
info.