Topband: Thrashing around in the Stew

To: top Band <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Thrashing around in the Stew
From: "Jim F." <j_fitton@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 13:37:32 -0700 (PDT)
Friday afternoon was spent putting 140' of wire in the trees but
was not able to spend time operating until Saturday evening.

Thought there was no one on the band until accidentally tuning
up a ways and there they were.  Couldn't get beyond 900 miles
(needing many repeats) and about midnight decided to try an above
ground radial hoping for a boost, but no luck but did not get
arrested for crashing around in the woods at midnight either.

Even tried hastilly winding a choke balun around 1 am, but it only hung up
the keyer with RF feedback which forced me to quit N1MM and lose the
dupe sheet. Still no luck, but 160m is sure a fun band. Had a few hours
sleep then shortly after daybreak made a few more then reeled in the
raised radial before someone in the condo complex walked into it.

Thanks to all who dug my 5 watts out of the noise and
especially those who tried and tried but couldn't.  Maybe I will figure out
how to get this FCP assembled and up before too long. My #1 goal is to
work Herb, KV4FZ from this location as he always has a good signal.

Nice to have worked K2AV and W0UCE - my FCP heroes last night !

73,

Jim / W1FMR

couldn't
Remember the PreStew coming on October 20th.  http://www.kkn.net/stew for more