Re: Topband: Tuning 160M Dipole

To: Topband List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Tuning 160M Dipole
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 16:56:25 -0700
Paul,

Here is a handy on line calculator to help you determine the approx wire length.
You can play with  putting in different freqs and see how much the wire length
changes.
I believe with frequency changes of 10KHZ the wire length changes by about one
foot.
So if it is resonant at 1.800 and you trim off one foot it will be resonant at
1.810.
Note that with the calculator,  an inverted V  has different lengths than a
horiz dipole

http://www.cdagro.com/dip/dpo.html

If you can find the resonant freq (where the lowest SWR is) then you can see
how far you have to move.
I find this calculator to be in the ball park.  I normally cut the wire lengths
long to start with and then prune
till I bring the resonant freq up to where I want it to be.   It sounds like
you are resonant below the band right now
which is good, prune time !

73,
K6UJ
Bob