Re: Topband: FCP

To: Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>, TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FCP
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 19:59:10 -0500
Very kind, and flattering, but...

I'm really NOT expecting to be the loudest guy.  There is no reason
for me to expect that.  But I AM in play.  My station, including the
antenna wire + FCP, IS "working" and working well.  I have a K3, with
dual diversity RX, and an Alpha 8410. RX antennas are the limiting
issue at my station.  Working on that.

I'm using an FCP at 7 feet with an 84 foot vertical wire plus 104'
horizontal. It's strung in an open area in my narrow little private
forest over the driveway almost to the US 64 service road.  The
driveway splits the property there, thus no possibility for radials.
It's at 7 feet because I could do that and not have to clear some
stuff, and it was an EXPERIMENT when we first put it up.

I will be moving the FCP up to 15 feet, after clearing that stuff to
make it possible, and raising the wire a bit at the same time, so it
will be still be about the same wire above the FCP.  I have 425 feet
of WireMan #554 window line to the matching box plus about 80 feet of
coax getting from the shack out to the tractor shed where the balanced
line starts.

I have a 4:1 isolation transformer to step down to the FCP-antenna
feedpoint Z.  It's a trifilar winding on a T400A-2 monster powdered
iron core. Runs stone cold with 8410 in brick-on-key mode.  Vacuum
variable cap tunes out series inductive reactance in the nearly 3/8
wave length wire.  I use a duplicate of the isolation transformer to
go to coax at the tractor shed. That way I have a working duplicate
ready if the antenna end gets melted by a direct lightning. There have
been four close strikes to trees, and the isolation transformer
construction at both ends of the balanced line has stood up to induced
voltage without problems

My big maintenance headaches are parts of the forest falling on the
feedline and squirrels eating the window line material and exposing
the wire underneath to moisture. I have support weights on pullies at
the ends of the main run, The window line can slip through the
supports, which will also release with excessive pressure, and a tree
can take the window line to the ground and pull up the weights without
snapping or otherwise damaging the window line.

There are a couple sweet gums growing into the antenna clear space
that are going to be taken down shortly.  This antenna is now known
for sure to be the best 160m antenna I can get up on the property, so
it will be maintained, and I can justify the clearing activities.

As to FCP stories...

CQ160 CW certificates are now out there for Jan 2012 contest.  #1 SOLP
in NC (#2 in 4th call area) was over an FCP.  #1 SOHP in NC (#3 in 4th
call area) was over an FCP.

One Scot station with a new FCP in a 21 x 75 foot back yard (!!!), and
a 30 foot tower for supporting the bend in the L, was on 160 in the
CQWW SSB and worked into the US and all over Africa with 400 watts.
Was night and day for him versus his prior setup with necessarily
pathetic radials.  What radials could anyone put down that work in 21
x 75 feet?  And that's *SSB* across the pond, which is at a 10 dB
disadvantage to CW across the pond.

Yeah, FCP really works, but it is certainly not a replacement or a fix
for everything. Those without commercial radial fields, but who have
stuff that works and compares favorably with others' RBN numbers may
not get discernible performance boost by conversion. If you are
getting cr*p RBN numbers on 160, then examination of your setup is in
order, and you might get startling improvement with an FCP.  Others
already have.

The FCP is best replacing "miscellaneous" attempts at radials that are
a significant come down from commercial radials.  These are usually
because size restrictions prevent anything remotely resembling "full
size dense and uniform all around".  On the other hand, some are
making no-performance-change FCP substitutions because they didn't
lose anything and they got their back yard back. On fellow said he was
tired of tangling his annual radials in the lawn mower.

Some have put up their first real 160 antenna over an FCP because
there was no way they were ever going to use radials, including some
that clearly had room for the commercial equivalent.  I hear a range
of reasons (you've heard them all on this reflector) for not doing
radials.

73, Guy.