Topband: Total Length of Inverted-L wire?

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>, Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Topband: Total Length of Inverted-L wire?
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 19:52:25 -0600
84' + 104' ... I take it that's an inverted-L with a total length of 188'?
That's interesting, Guy.

I've been playing with different lengths of wire in EZNEC+ 5, for a 160
Inverted-L here with a 55' high vertical section, and would appreciate some
advice here. I'm leaning towards making mine longer than a 1/4 wavelength,
too.

My EZNEC models seem to indicate that lengthening the horizontal section
--so that the total length of the inverted-l wire varies between 1/4 and
3/8 wavelength-- seems to make little difference in the low angle
radiation; but the longer the wire, the more high-angle stuff there is.

>From what I can tell, lengthening the horizontal section will make very
little difference in the gain at low angles for 160m DX. But the added
high-angle radiation from a wire with a total length of from 5/16 to 3/8
wavelength will improve the propagation for close-in contacts without
affecting the DX capabilities.

Am I wrong about this? Any comments on this would be very much appreciated.

I haven't yet decided exactly how long to make my inverted-l yet, and I'd
appreciate any advice. The constant is that the vertical portion will be
55' high, I am just undecided on how long to make the horizontal portion.

I want to put the inverted-L back up very soon. I was going to use an FCP
under this, but I'll probably just use elevated 1/4 wavelength radials like
I did before.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com