Re: Topband: Covered /bare antennn wire

To: Bruce <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Covered /bare antennn wire
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:02:37 -0500
On 2012-11-15, at 4:35 PM, Bruce wrote:

> Good point Mike, but I am hoping someone has done definitive testing between
> insulated and un-insulated wire concerning voltage build up.  If the voltage
> is lower with insulated wire there is less to bleed off, and possibly lower
> noise activity.

Hi Bruce,

I am a tad confused by your reasoning, so please excuse me...!

Are you implying that "some" amount of voltage build-up is OK somehow? I don't
get the logic in that---to me, it's all or nothing. What's to be gained by
having less voltage to bleed off, s. more? An RF choke to ground doesn't care
if it's a lot, or a little: it just does its job, end of story...

I'm no expert by any means, but please enlighten me as I think I've obviously
missed something.

Thanks!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

PS: FWIW, I always endeavour here to use insulated wire in ALL of my antenna
projects---even radials laid atop the ground. I guess in the case of wire up in
the air, I still subscribe to the belief (urban myth...?) that rain & snow
discharge themselves on bare wire, "static electrically speaking". For the
minimal extra expense of insulated vs. bare wire, it's one less thing that I
have to worry about, rightly or wrongly! Hi Hi