Re: Topband: REVERSE BEACON

To: <wa3mej@comcast.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: REVERSE BEACON
From: "Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\)" <k8ut@k8ut.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 05:55:21 -0500
Last month, W8NN and I delivered a presentation to the SouthEast Michigan DX Association (SEMDXA) titled "Using the RBN as an Antenna Performance Tool." You can download the presentation from:
http://www.k8ut.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=2

Among the topics is a description of our testing protocol, which we found required strict compliance to permit valid comparison of antenna A to antenna B to antenna C.

Not included in the results are more recent tests that three of us, K8YTO, VE3CFK, K8UT have been performing on a variety of 160 meter antennas (inverted-L, sloper, Battle Creek special, vertical ground plane, 1/2 wave dipole). Although the results could be described as interesting, the poor band conditions on 160 only delivered spots from local stations - most within 500 miles, only one from as far away as 1200 miles. Since the three of us are more interested in 160m DX, we don't think we encountered the right conditions yet to allow us to classify anything as good, bad, or ugly. Especially on 160 meters, results varied widely from day-to-day; even from hour-to-hour. You may find the same is true by looking back through the history of spots for your old antenna as you compare it to your new antenna.

My Advice (FWIW) -- You can: predict antenna performance with a modeling tool; measure actual performance under laboratory conditions; or try to gauge "in the wild" performance with something like the RBN. Proceed carefully if you decide to use the latter to make antenna decisions.

-larry (K8UT)
-----Original Message----- From: wa3mej@comcast.net