Re: Topband: W5UN this morning (Tuesday 25th September) - longpathinto E

To: Luis Mansutti IV3PRK <luisprk@tin.it>
Subject: Re: Topband: W5UN this morning (Tuesday 25th September) - longpathinto EI?
From: Cormac Gebruers <ei4hq.mail@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 16:33:50 +0000
All,

In reference to previous; confusion was caused (in part) by a broken power
connection between shack & antenna that meant the relay that switches loop
direction at the antenna (referred to as k2 in the original K9AY QST
article) wasn't working.

Remaining confusion arising of course from my ignorance about TB
propagation - working to remedy that deficiency :-)

Oh and apologies to fellow hams to the NW of me (W & VE etc) who I've been
unable/struggling to hear in recent times because of above...

BR
Cormac, EI4HQ
QSL Manager & Coordinator EI100T
[Cobh/UTC] NNNN++++

On 26 September 2012 20:20, Luis Mansutti IV3PRK <luisprk@tin.it> wrote:

> Hi Cormac, Len and all,
>
> what a strange band!
> I am behind and more distant from Texas than both you, but Dave called me
> at 04.57 and we exchanged 579 both ways, on the right direction of course.
> We know that on Topband unexpected and spotty conditions can happen, but
> for sure it's impossible to work NA via long path near our sunrise.
>
> 73
> Luis IV3PRK
>

>> I was up early this morning (Tuesday 25th September) and heard W5UN come
>> up
>> on 160m at 0444utc. Though very weak and with deep QSB, he was by far and
>> away the strongest  on my K9AY when switched NE and next strongest when
>> switched SE. I'm in IO51, he is in EM19; direct bearing is 296 degrees
>> (WNW), long path is 116 degrees (SSE).
>>
>> I tried calling (as did a few others) but I think perhaps only SM7BIC
>> worked
>> him. I'm not sure though as condx from my perspective were very marginal
>> becuase of the deep QSB.
>>
>> Local sunrise was at 0625utc today
>>
>> Was he really long path (33428km) or is some other propagation mechanism
>> at
>> play here?
>>
>> GE all,
>> Never worked Dave this morning. Dave was on the chat and called me but we
>> both had high QRN. Maybe better tmw?
>> Anyway good to see increasing activity again.
>> 73
>> Len SM7BIC

>> UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK

Regards